Friday 6 December 2013

December 6th: Mrs Tiggy-winkles needs our help (this one is for me!)

Copyright/ All Rights Reserved Elissa V Evans
Hedgehog inspired by RSPB literature with an added heart, in pencil and Watercolour
on handmade paper.
On this the 6th day of December, my boys and I had a little trip to Cardiff Bay to collect an exhibition that Jazz Heritage Wales* had on in the Senedd (Welsh National Assembly building). We stumbled across an outdoor Christmas market and spent an hour looking round all the lovely stalls. One stand was for the RSPB and whilst chatting to the chap running it I discovered, to my horror, that our hedgehog population really needs our help. In the 1960s there were some 35,000,000 little spikey friends roaming around our fair isle, and now in 2013 there are only an estimated 1,000,000 left! We need to help create their natural habitat again... too many patios,concrete,and tarmac gardens all of which are walled or fenced in. Outdoor lights left on and cars everywhere don't help matters, either. I really hope it's not too late... absolutely heartbreaking.  Can you help?

No comments:

Post a Comment